Here are 5 simple ways to downsize your book collection:
- Donate to a Library: Anything you think you might want to read again, donate it to your local library. You’ll be able to rent it if you need to read it again. I do this all the time.
- Get Some Cash: If you’re not attached to the book and want some extra cash, visit a Hastings if you have one in your area. They pay a ridiculously high amount for newer books in good condition. You can also search out used book stores in your area to sell the whole lot.
- Purge Books You’ve Read First: A big category for people is books they’ve already read. Go through the books you’ve read and purge them first. Keep a few if you need to, but think hard, do you really want to read it again or would you prefer delicious new in your life?
- Purge Fiction Second: Fiction is readily available at most libraries. You can safely get rid of popular fiction and know you can rent it again from your library if you need to.
- Buy, Read, Donate: This is something I’ve done in the last year. A few times I absolutely wanted to read a non-fiction book my library didn’t have. So I bought it, read it, and then donated it to the library. It’s a form of sharing and tithing with a lot of greedy fringe benefits. I get to rent it again any time I want.
So there you have it. Five simple ideas for how to downsize your book collection.
How many books do I have? None. I downsized all of them. I used to have plenty. I had my custom built triple wide cedar bookcase and my multiple overflow zones. I had my Ayn Rand collection sitting next to my Ann Rice collection, sitting next to my….. er, yes, I actually alphabetized my authors!
Now I’m happy with the library, ebooks, and the occasional purchase followed by a donation.
What do your books mean to you? How often do you pull them out, read through them? Do you have books that have been sitting around for more than a year without being cracked open? How many books do you have? Let’s start a conversation.
* I had this post hiding in the unpublished archives. I’d thrown together the draft and forgotten about it. Figured today was a good day to contemplate books again. You can read more about minimizing books here if you want. Enjoy your Monday and do something different today. I’ve dropped off aloe at a friend’s house and celebrated the coming of Autumn so far today. ;)